Default Thumbnail Image A

A Map of Ground Belonging to John Laurence and Effingham Embree. Surveyed and and laidout into lots in the year 1788 by Casimir Th Goerck, City Surveyor, and copied in the year 1818 by Joseph Fr. Mangin, City Surveyor.
Manuscript map in ink on paper with wash color. The map is backed. 29 x 14 inches (74 x 36 cm). Dust soiling and small losses to lower corners and fold.

A wonderful Joseph-Francois Mangin copy of Casimir Goerck's 1788 survey of lands owned by John Laurence and his son-in-law, the well-regarded Federal period clock maker Effingham Embree (1759-1817). On Bernard Ratzer's 1766 survey this area is shown just west of Bowry Lane as "Dykeman" and "Herrin" with delineation of the roads here named Bleeker Street and Great George Street. On the current map, the lands belong to "Herrings Estate" and "Widow Deickman's Ground." The ink updating of the street names such as "Clermont Street" for First Street here is likely by Mangin as this would become Mercer Street by 1807.

C Collection of a New York Surveyor

Sold for $1,512
Estimate $1,000-1,500

Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact and Doyle New York shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. Please contact the specialist department to request further information or additional images that may be available.