Lot 16GOERCK, CASIMIR THEODOR
Plan of Mr. Henry Rutgers Estate Done in January 1789 by Casimir Th: Goerck City Surveyor. Manuscript map on paper in ink with pink color. The map backed. 22 1/4 x 39 (57 x 100 cm). Losses to extremities, stains, tears, dust soiling, later markings in the image.
A remarkably detailed large format 1789 Casimir Goerck survey map of the laid-out Rutgers Farm, from Division Street to the East River, bounded by Montgomery Street to the north and the "Jews Burying Ground" at the south. The map shows a sophisticated layout that would appear with these names on Randel's Commissioner's Survey of 1811. The waterfront shows a wharf where South Street would later develop and four large slips are depicted: Catharine, George, Charlotte, and Rutgers. Charlotte Street was renamed Pike Street after 1791 and Warren Street was renamed Clinton Street. A text at lower right describes the "Two Anchor Rocks" shown at the extreme lower right of the image. This map is distinctive for its large, clear lettering and attractive coloring.
C Collection of a New York Surveyor
Sold for $1,260
Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact and Doyle New York shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. Please contact the specialist department to request further information or additional images that may be available.